First Blackwood Server Assignment (100 pts)
Create a character in the Blackwood simulation,
- go underground through the Wishing Well in the Park,
- find your Ante Room (refer to instructions given in class if
you cannot find it),
- 'dig' a workspace for yourself, and
- send a report detailing your work to the relevant official.
You accomplish this by following the instructions, in the
sequence detailed below.
- Log on to the Blackwood MOO
- a standard telnet client (as used in the example at
- the MacMOOSE client if it is installed in the Mac clusters in the
IACC, or if you use a Mac at home
- the tkmoo-light client if it is installed in the PC clusters
in the IACC, or if you use a PC at home
- Note: to get copies of these freeware clients, MacMOOSE or
tkmoo-light, in the clusters or elsewhere, go to
The MooAdmin Page and follow the instructions.
- Create a character for yourself using the 'create'
Usage: create [new-player-name] [new-password]
Use your NDSU email name (first.last) as your login name and
your StudentID number as your password
- (5 pts) @describe yourself
- Find your Ante Room, either by using common sense, or according to the instructions given in class
- Execute the 'pgmr_me' verb to promote yourself to a
type 'help builder-index' and read useful information
- (20 pts) @dig a room for yourself (do this carefully)
read 'help @dig' for assistance
do NOT use a compass point as your exit name (10 pt deduction
do NOT dig your room in the wrong place (15 pt deduction)
- (10 pts) execute the 'addmyexits' verb to make your exit visible
- (10 pts) go to your new room and use @sethome to make this
your home room (Note: this is demonstrated using the 'home' verb)
- (20 pts) @describe your exits, both in and out of the Ante
Room (10 pts each).
- (20 pts) define @leave messages on your exits (10 pts each).
You will want to read "help messages" to fully grasp this, the
short summary is:
The 'leave' message on an exit is printed to a player when
they successfully use the exit to leave a room. To set the
'leave' message on the exit 'ParsnipFarm' from the current room, use
@leave ParsnipFarm is "You wander towards the Parsnip Farm, with
a leisurely gait, smelling the Parsnips as you roam."
- (5 pts) @describe your room in whatever (tasteful) way you choose
- (10 pts) @dig a back room for yourself (4 pts), describe it
(2 pts), and describing the exits
in (2 pts) and out (2 pts).
- Submit a report showing your work -- email to the TA
This document should be clear and explicit about what points you
have earned, and for what exactly.
This will include claiming points for each of the individual
actions, and pasting your 'evidence' into
the document as proof: just the relevant information, not the
entire transcript of your session -- a summary like you would
turn in for a salary review.
Note: The @audit command might be helpful
Modified: 5Jan99, 9Jan01, 3mar05, 8jan06, 18oct06, 13Jan11, 8Jan14
Send comments to: